OPEN POSITION: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
OPEN POSITION: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
The new Development Director will craft an ambitious, multi-year strategic and operational plan to engage new and current supporters and strengthen our global movement. The Director will create and oversee new fundraising systems and processes in support of all our fundraising efforts, especially our $25M fundraising goal. This position will also contribute expertise to organizational strategy and planning and work with our Communications Director in developing stronger external relations capacity. Reporting to our Deputy Director and working closely with the Executive Director, the new Development Director will supervise a talented Development Associate as well as consultants and volunteers. Our ideal candidate is a talented project manager with fundraising operations acumen, strong writing skills, and experience creating successful customized major donor cultivation plans.
Fundraising Strategy and Operations 40%
- Develop and implement multi-year fundraising strategies and work plans.
- Create customized cultivation and solicitation plans for ED and Deputy Director.
- Lead all fundraising project management, including managing our $25M by 2025 campaign and collaborating with program teams.
- Cultivate and steward a robust base of current donors.
- Develop and oversee new internal systems to support gift processing and stewardship, including database management.
- Oversee grants reporting and administration and help design the qualitative and quantitative tools needed to measure results, impact, and performance.
- Research major donor prospects to create new pipeline goals and metrics.
- Pursue strategic partner initiatives to engage new development and programmatic contacts, as well as foster partnerships that drive our overall capacity and reach.
Proposal Development (30%)
- Write, edit, and submit successful proposals, concept papers, and reports.
- Conduct research to create custom donor engagement materials.
- Perform prospect research on new institutional and major donors to increase pipeline.
Team Management and Organizational Development (30%)
- Manage our development team, including the Development Associate and any fundraising consultants, vendors,and volunteers.
- Collaborate with our communications team and consultants, as well as helping build up our communications and marketing capacity.
- Engage with and contribute to strategic program design and development to ensure development strategies align with programmatic design and communications strategy.
- Train and support Board members in messaging, pitching, and donor stewardship.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Ability to combine strategic thinking with hands-on management and problem-solving.
- Genuine enthusiasm and passion for creating and implementing fundraising systems and processes, leveraging data as well as team management.
- A strong affinity with our mission of galvanizing environmental justice and regeneration through the use of storytelling and film.
- Strong track record of success in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting multi-year gifts of over $100K from individual and institutional donors.
- 7+ years of experience in a development position, including at least 3 managing a development team; experience with environmental impact or film a plus.
- Strong experience in and a record of executing major fundraising campaigns, building relationships with major donors and institutional funders, and securing major gifts.
- Demonstrated experience in learning and leveraging data-driven fundraising tools and metrics, including donor and CRM databases such as Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge.
- Strong writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Experience in successfully developing and securing large, multi-year grant proposals and major gifts from institutional funders.
- Ability to collaborate, work with, and help build relevant external partnerships and sponsorships that support Redford Center programming and funding needs.
- Critical thinking, strong organizational skills, and the ability to collaborate across different functional teams to support all programmatic and communications efforts.
- Deep understanding of the current philanthropic landscape.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Sense of humor
- Humility and self-confidence
ABOUT OUR TEAM: CULTURE AND BENEFITS
Our growing team dreams big, takes risks, and solves problems with creativity and empathy. We are proud of a culture that runs on collaboration, cross-functional teamwork, clear communication, flexibility, humility, and humor. We value passion for our mission and our core values--especially justice, equity, diversity and inclusion--while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
This is a full-time salaried position located at The Redford Center’s headquarters in The Presidio in San Francisco, California. We are currently working from home during the pandemic, and we anticipate returning to donor-related regional and overnight travel in the future. We are evaluating remote work during this period and we expect to have a flexible schedule with at least one SF office day per week.
We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits: significant vacation that begins in Year 1; 100% of individual health premiums; dental and vision; ability to participate in a retirement plan; multiple professional development opportunities; and transportation reimbursements. The salary range of $90,000-$120,000 is based on market rate and commensurate with experience.
ATTRACTING CANDIDATES OF ALL BACKGROUNDS
Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and LBGTQ+ candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
The Redford Center strives for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) and prioritizes these values in our organization, programming, and employment practices. JEDI is at the forefront of our strategy and culture, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, cultures, skills, and experiences, knowing that the more inclusive we are, the more successful we will be. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter detailing your interest and experience to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Director.” Hiring decisions will be made on a rolling basis, and applications are encouraged to be submitted before July 31, 2021.